Monday, November 23, 2015

The Movement Towards Shopping Locally (and disgust at corporate greed)

I'm getting giddy about #SmallBusinessSaturday. Some years in the past I have kind of thought it was a lot of hype and not enough action behind the words, but THIS YEAR.....I think this might be it. By the way, if you aren't on board yet time is ticking; here's a short list of ideas and resources to get you in the mood for November 28th. Small Business Saturday 2015
 


Why? Consumers, despite being such incredibly fickle creatures, are somewhat outraged at the whole "Open on Thanksgiving" concept. There are multiple sites and facebook pages (for more on this check out my blog post I'm against Black Thursday and Black Friday) dedicated to listing the offenders who are making their employees come into work on Turkey Day. And much of the feedback indicates disgust towards the big box retailers and their greed. How much is their outrage worth? We're about to find out in just a few days.


Now that doesn't mean consumers won't just go out shopping at all the places they railed against on Black Friday - but it is interesting watching the annoyance building about the whole Thursday thing. Could it help people to stop and think about where they spend, consider who they really wish to support, and perhaps focus more on where their money goes? I can't help but hope that is the case. Small businesses matter and I'm a hard-core localist who is focused on their history, contributions made to the local economy, and partnerships with their communities. I'm already there with my support, but believe people need to wake up and think for themselves. Could this be the added push from consumers who are actually stopping to think about how they spend? I'm crossing my fingers and watching what happens next. 





Live Local USA: "The voice of independent businesses"
https://www.facebook.com/LiveLocalUSA
https://plus.google.com/101656893741326662897
Small Business on Pinterest
"Live Local" on Pinterest