Friday, August 11, 2017

As I Drove Through My Town....."There Would Now Be A Chain"

Written after a drive through a small town, witnessing the final steps in the journey of a beloved local business. Franchises and chain stores can pay higher rents, and landlords will sometimes get rid of a mom and pop shop for just that reason. It happens all the time but this time it stung my heart just a bit more, struck with the realization that we'd lost yet another independent business. 


As I drove through my town,
To my face came a frown;
And the sight I now see,
Is just what I'd hoped wouldn't be.


A familiar sign was missing,
And something was wrong;
The ice cream shop was closed??
Yes - it was cleaned out and gone.


A family’s decades of service,
Had finally ended last year;
And the smiles of the people,
Now live only in memories here.


And then the worst part of all,
It had just caught my sight;
Waiting a boost from the crane,
Sat the sign, new and bright.


Where the mom and pop had stood,
Now pushed aside by brand name;
I saw the logo of a TCBY;
There would now be a chain.












A voice for small business, the heart and soul of our communities and towns.
Follow hashtags #loveyourlocal and #LiveLocalUSA and connect with us @