Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Me and My Independent Retail Store: We Are a Part of Our Community

A look at the things in life that matter, seen through the eyes of a small business owner; a glimpse of what it means to be a part of their town. Reposted with permission.



"Sometimes I think folks view small mom and pop stores as just a little place with fewer choices. Maybe they assume we are over-priced, full of outdated merchandise, and lack a fast food restaurant or arcade which could entertain the kids. Maybe they are afraid to try something new? While it's true that we can't offer the range of products a big box store might, and no, we don't have a McDonald's or game area inside, we do care so much for our customers, visitors and friends. I wish people would keep an open mind, consider trying a different type of retail experience, and enjoy what we offer - because isn't that what life and variety is all about?



Today I want to explain how my small business and I contribute to the local community; how this place is more than just a building; that I am more than just "someone" ringing up purchases at the front register. We genuinely care about the people who live near us, support and value our customers and community, and have always welcomed those who asked to display posters or flyers for local events, fundraisers and other activities in our shop windows. We don't have a corporate policy banning such things, unlike the nearby Walgreens and Food Lion, who last summer would not allow a friend to post a sign for a missing neighborhood dog - but being an independent does have it's advantages.


Over the last eight years I've become involved with lost and found animals, and now run and coordinate the local missing pet site for this area. It's a volunteer operation which helps guide owners through the search process, put out alerts to the public and provides advice and information at no charge. Fortunate to have a passionate team of followers and helpers, I'm very grateful and proud of those who give their time and have made our site a "go to" resource for the community, which over the years has helped to recover hundreds of animals. This particular story begins on a blisteringly hot summer day with out of state family members contacting me to explain that their grandfather, a local resident and customer, was frantically searching for his lost dog.


As I'd done many times before, in between my customers and sales, I spoke with Mr. B, gave him instructions and let him know I would make up the posters for his missing pet. He drove over to my shop to pick them up and then proceeded to visit local businesses explaining the situation and asking them to place a poster in their shop window to alert the neighborhood. After several hours he called, worried and distraught, to tell me that the all of the corporate/chain retail stores - the ones which were closest to his home where the dog had escaped - refused to help; that flyers for missing pets were apparently against "company policy". We discussed other options and moved on with our efforts; he on foot in the local area, while I sent emails, posted online and contacted nearby neighborhood associations.


The day wore on with no signs of the missing dog, who required medication and without it would likely soon begin to have seizures. We met up later that evening as I was suggesting a search effort for 5:AM the following morning, the only available time I had before needing to come into work, but Mr. B. had his doubts; worried she would not survive the heat, lack of water and medication, he was rapidly losing hope. Just after our conversation, as I headed home to plan for an early morning, came the call we'd been waiting for; his dog was spotted in a neighbor's yard, he was rushing to pick her up and going directly to the vet. Surprisingly she was in pretty good shape, able to receive her medication and was released to a very happy Mr. B, who was thrilled to have his girl back home.


I consider myself so fortunate to to play a small role in reuniting families - it's a labor of love which is possible because of my store location and nearby connections - if I worked out of the area all day at a regular job none of this would be possible. There are a lot of other small business owners who do the same, as they too are connected to the local pulse of this town, are aware of things that happen and quietly help out or lend a hand when needed. We care deeply about our friends and neighbors and we are truly, the heart and soul of our communities. Should you choose to pass us by because the bigger stores offer endless choices, boast of a pizza franchise within their doors or undercut prices by a few cents, you may be overlooking some of the most poignant and meaningful connections possible in our lives".




Four years later there was an update from this business: 


"As many of you know, my business will be closing later this year, breaking off a piece of my heart and soul in the process. While my efforts to the community will continue of course, once employed elsewhere my involvement will be limited. I will miss being a part of this place. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity I was lucky to have for almost half of my years spent on this earth. I truly loved my shop; customers; friends; most of all I cherished being a part of all your lives. Thank you for the chance to be what I was."