Friday, April 27, 2018

I Want to Tell You About Bookstores and Small Businesses Owners

It's Independent Bookstore Day and because I have this crazy passion for small business and the people who keep them open, I've been searching the internet for articles and news stories, promotional events and celebrations. I love to see the creativity which is born from small shops and entrepreneur dreams; read about places that have fought hard for years and decades to stay open and remain a piece of their local communities.


I guess it's just me wanting to remind you - again - how these independents are so worth noticing, caring about and supporting, because deep down I'm afraid if we don't realize what we have, if we forget to focus on our neighborhoods and downtowns, that they may just simply cease to exist. The mom and pop shop, the corner bookstore or family-owned grocery.....these places are the one-of-a- kind jewels which benefit each town or city; they are cornerstones and destinations; the product of a journey of dreams and dedication and hard work.


But if we fail to see; if we turn away and miss the point about spending locally, investing in these establishments and dreams and mini centers of commerce; we may have a bleak future ahead of us. If you've experienced the sadness and emptiness when learning that a favorite place is closing it's doors and leaving our corner of the world, or when walking down a hometown street brings you to a shop window that for the first time in decades, is lacking it's familiar display of the treasures which were once found inside, then you understand what I'm talking about.


I wish every Main Street organization, downtown merchants group or chamber of commerce would post this kind of stuff - that they'd be willing to get real and honest and share the reality which faces our independents today. I'd love to see more business owners writing articles for the newspaper, sending letters to the editors, heck - just getting frank about the realities of keeping the doors open and the lights on in today's environment - because maybe then folks would listen up and realize this isn't a hobby or joke or small potatoes. It's the livelihood of families, funding for needed repairs and bills, providing a living for a young couple full of dreams and enthusiasm. Some days I just wish my efforts would be more widely noticed because there are endless topics about small business on my own Facebook page, countless observations of holidays and special dates which can tie into promotional opportunities and a stream of news articles and helpful information offered to readers to help them make wise choices. 


Because it matters so much to me, and to you and your local scene, I made time the last few days to look online for examples of iconic bookstores and landmark destinations where dedicated entrepreneurs are busy planning events for Bookstore Day. From coast to coast I find examples of live signing events, authors making personal appearances in small shops, activities and celebrations honoring 25 years in business, a milestone fiftieth anniversary and yes, even an establishment that was opened in 1933. I search for these tidbits of information which are kind of snapshots of America in a way, so I can pass them along and just maybe inspire you to go out and find such a place around the corner from where you live.


As images of and advertising for #IndependentBookstoreDay catch my eye, I click to learn more and discover countless testaments to the American dream, stores which are not just surviving but are thriving as a pillar of their communities and down towns. Because the stories of countless hours of hard work, rich history woven into the fabric of a zip code, and commitment seem such an inspiration, I'm looking for a way to share that with you. I just wish more people were listening.







Live Local USA is a voice for small business, the heart and soul of 
our communities and towns. Connect with us and share the message @